Thursday, January 8, 2009

What's for dinner Mr and Mrs F?

Yesterday was "hump" day. Now before you run to pervertical (I think I made that word up) conclusions, this simply means it was Wednesday and that we were over the "hump" of the work week and now onto the downward slope into blissful weekend. So what that usually means in my household is we either have a special homemade treat or good dinner to celebrate. This week however Mr. F was treated to both.

We had delicious homemade mini pot pies (recipe below)


and chocolate sugar cookies (recipe also below)


Super easy to make mini pot pies:

ingredients:
1 cup peas
1 cup chopped cooked carrots (easy tip: I usually just use a drained can of peas and carrots!)
1 large can chunk white chicken (drained)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 ounces of softened cream cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pack of 8 jumbo buttermilk biscuits

Directions:
Combine all ingredients except biscuits in a large bowl and mix well. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Separate biscuits and cut biscuits in half. Press one half of the biscuit into a muffin pan bottom and sides. Spoon equal chicken mixture into prepared muffin cup. Cover with other half of biscuit sealing sides with top of biscuit. Bake until golden brown 25-30 minutes.



Chocolate Sugar Cookies- This comes from my madre- at christmas time we would make cut out cookies (usually of stars) and put melted chocolate on the bottoms! Soo good! I made them for my primary class and neighbors this year at Christmas and got rave reviews. This way they are still good but not as much work (not spending an hour making stars).

Use your favorite sugar cookie recipe (or the one below) and bake them. Let them cool completely and melt your favorite chocolate (I prefer Guitard dark chocolate) using the directions on the package. "Frost" the bottom of the sugar cookies with the chocolate and let stand. Enjoy!

Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe:

2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Cream together sugar and butter using a mixer. Add egg and vanilla and mix. Then slowly add dry ingredients. Drop spoonfulls on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. And yet, you never want to make me dinner when you're in Las Vegas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make you dinner next time I come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just saw your blog on Facebook, so I HAD to take a peek. I think I am seriously going to try this pot pie recipe. It looks really good! I mean it has cream cheese in it, so it has to be right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. UM, YUMMY! I'm going to have to try both of those things! They look and sound super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I tried it! I didn't have Pillsbury rolls so I used a biscuit mix, and those things were DIVINE. Pillsbury would have been richer, but would have probably been too much for me. I love when things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you made them! So good right?

    ReplyDelete